As I’ve said quite recently, I love Autumn. And look what I found that puts two of my favourite things (books and autumn) together – the Finally Fall Book Tag! This tag was created by Tall Tales, it features 11 questions and I’m just going to get stuck right in.
1. In fall, the air is crisp and clear: name a book with a vivid setting!
The Gunslinger by Stephen King. This is the first book in The Dark Tower series and not a lot really happens in it but you definitely get a vivid description of this place that the Gunslinger roams. It’s like a desert in a dying world, and it feels incredibly lifeless and harsh.
2. Nature is beautiful… but also dying: name a book that is beautifully written, but also deals with a heavy topic like loss or grief.
The Language of Dying by Sarah Pinsborough. This is a short story about death, grief and the ties that binds a family until they don’t anymore and it’s beautiful. It’s very sad as a woman is basically with her father, in the family home, waiting for him to die as her siblings briefly visit them. It’s a great look at family connections and how they can break so easily while also being about how hard it is to see someone you love slip away.
3.Fall is back to school season: share a non-fiction book that taught you something new.
The Good Immigrant edited by Nikesh Shukla. I learnt so much about what it’s like being a person of colour in Britain today, and no matter how much I read up on it I’ll probably never understand it because I’m white.
4. In order to keep warm, it’s good to spend some time with the people we love: name a fictional family/household/friend-group that you’d like to be a part of.
It’s such an obvious choice but my first thought was the Weasley’s from Harry Potter. I’d love to go for dinner at the Burrow, it’s such a homely home full of life, and to have a meal there with the Weasley family would be so much fun. They’d be loads of laughter and crazy antics and I bet Mrs Weasley cooks the best food.
5. The colourful leaves are piling up on the ground: show us a pile of fall-coloured spines!
I’ve only read half these books – The Rise of Nine, Illuminae, Mockingjay and The Door in the Tree – the rest have been on my shelves for varying amounts of time. But they are all very fall/autumn-coloured with the yellows and oranges like falling leaves.
6. Fall is the perfect time for some storytelling by the fireside: share a book wherein somebody is telling a story.
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. This book is all about stories and books and storytelling. It’s a mystery wrapped up in story-telling and it’s a beautiful book for book lovers.
7. The nights are getting darker: share a dark, creepy read.
I don’t really read many dark or creepy reads but Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky is a recent one that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. It’s set in Moscow’s Metro system, where there’s limited food and light, and people have to live down there because the surface of the city is covered in radiation and there’s something’s on the surface that aren’t quite human anymore.
8. The days are getting colder: name a short, heart-warming read that could warm up somebody’s cold and rainy day.
Love Street by Andrew Matthews. This is a book that I read when I was about ten or eleven and it was my favourite for a long time. It’s a short, sweet and funny read about a girl who uses her imaginary soap opera in her head to help her deal with and understand the things that happen in her life with her friends.
9. Fall returns every year: name an old favourite that you’d like to return to soon.
The Martian by Andy Weir. I read it two years ago now and I absolutely adored it. I love the film adaptation too and think it does the book justice. I’ve watched the film a couple of times now but I’ve yet to reread the book and I really want to soon.
10. Fall is the perfect time for cozy reading nights: share your favourite cozy reading “accessories”!
My dressing gown – it’s purple and huge with too long sleeves – and fluffy bed socks.
11. Spread the autumn appreciation and tag some people!
Aoife @ Pretty Purple Polka Dots
Lauren @ Never Anyone Else
Katy @ Wilde on my Side
Ali @ I Wuv Books
Rachel @ Rachel Rexds
And anyone else who would like to do this tag!